Tuesday 7 July 2015

New Radiator for Scirocco


One day I looked under the bonnet to discover I had no water, "hmmm, that's not ideal"

It didn't take long to track down the culprit, I found water spewing out from the radiator and when I pulled it out to inspect further I could see it was past its best.

 

"bugger" I thought, a new radiator is going to cost me bomb?  Well yet again the rocco was about to surprise me with its well priced spares. A brand new radiator on eBay for only £20 plus delivery!
While I was at it, I changed the fan switch which screws into the rad itself. I would recommend changing your thermostat as well, assuming it hasn't been done recently.



The new rad looks lovely, and after cleaning the fan cover I was ready to re-install. I had a little trouble getting a water tight seal between the bottom rad hose and the right angled flange on the water pump but I got there in the end.



Not only dose it look better but cooling has improved dramatically, before, the temp gauge would run over 3/4 now it never really goes past the half way point.

Another thing you could change while the water is out is the temperature gauge sensor which is on the underside of the big water hose/flange coming from the block at the front. Its cheap enough and is easy to fit, the aftermarket ones are a slightly different size but come with a new o-ring. I used some instant gasket aswell, just to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment